RE: Alt. Kit

To: "triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Alt. Kit
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 18:39:22 -0800
> It seems that the best candidates for use are single-wire alternators
> (because of their built-in regulation)

Many (all ?) present-day alternators have built-in regulators, but most OEM
alternators are not single-wire.  The extra wires serve two functions, one
is the warning light on the dash (which I like to keep), the other is a
"remote sensing" ability that compensates for voltage drop in the wiring and
allows better battery charging.

Personal preference, obviously.  Mine is that, if I'm going to go to all the
trouble of converting to an alternator, I'm going to go to the extra trouble
of running two more wires, to keep the warning lamp and get the best
possible charging.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org