Re: More door questions: window seals on top of door

To: wsteinman@pogolaw.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: More door questions: window seals on top of door
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 13:23:15 EST
In a message dated 12/16/2005 9:25:04 AM Central Standard Time,
wsteinman@pogolaw.com writes:
> Howdy all!  Thanks so much for everyone who has given me advice on
> replacing the window channels on my 250.  Now for a related question.
> While I've got it all apart, I might as well replace the inside and
> outside seals on the top of the door, which are looking tired.  However,
> I get the impression that this is a pain given the type of clips (which
> I haven't looked at yet).  Any advice would be greatly appreciated on
> how to go about changing them.

The clips are tricky but not too bad.  You will need a tool that you can
easily make yourself.  It is a piece of flat steel with a 90 deg bend on the
end.
This will be used to push the clips into place over the door lip and seal
spine.  Some have used discarded blanking strips from a PC.  More on that later.

You can use a screwdriver to push the clips off and remove the old seal.
Then position the new seal and note the recesses for the clips.  Here is the
tricky part.  Take your tool and pass it down into the gap between the glass
and
the seal with the bent part oriented away from the glass.  I forget where I
positioned the glass but raise the glass up and down until it is in a position
compromising your ability to reach the clip positions from underneath and
manipulate the tool.  (Obviously the inside seal will be much easier so try
that one
first.)  Locate the clip in position on the door lip and seal spine with one
hand and using the tool in the other hand pull up to set the clip.  Use your
third hand to ensure the seal doesn't creep up away from the desired position.

And as they say in the Peugeot factory:" C'est simple!"

Cheers and good luck.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org