Rear Hub Puller - Churchhill Copy

To: <6parts@charter.net>
Subject: Rear Hub Puller - Churchhill Copy
From: "Mark Meany" <mmeany@ne.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 17:13:26 -0500
Alan - I've made one of those hub pullers as well & will outline how I used
it. This is not pretty & most listers, no doubt, will never let me near
their cars when they see this!

I assume the hub assy is free of the universal joints,  just one set of ears
is hanging off the back of the assembly & the spindle nut is loosened. To
hold the hub from moving, I slipped a brass tube through the holes in the
ears. Through that tube (soft metal protecting the ears), I passed a tire
iron & then parked my 1990 Audi 100 on the tire iron to secure the assy from
moving about. The imitation Churchill tool is affixed & the large Acme screw
is tightened down against the end of the spindle as tight as I could make
it. I used a large breaker bar to do this. WARNING: THE FOLLOWING IS NOT FOR
THE FAINT OF HEART. I then stood on the end of the breaker bar (I'm 155
lbs.) & whacked the end of the Acme screw with a 3 lb sledge. Re-tighten
Acme screw, rinse, & repeat. After one of the whacks, you'll hear it pop, &
you'll be sure you've broken something - hopefully the firmly wedded taper
fit. I'm 2 for 3 with this method. One, I just couldn't free up even after
adding profanity to the above mix. If  you've access to an impact wrench
with some very large sockets, you could no doubt do this with more panache
than I was capable of. The ears on the universal joint seemed none the worse
for wear as long as one is careful about the Rube Goldberg holding mechanism
not having any slop in it.

Mark Meany
'65 TR4A IRS O
Keene, NH