RE: TR4 Vandervell Bearings

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 Vandervell Bearings
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 20:29:45 -0800
> The only problems I had was
> with the front bearing cap tearing the end plate gasket upon removal

'Butter' the cap & sealing block with Hylomar or your favorite "form a gasket".

> and a
> rear main bearing cap that would not clear the edge of the transmission
> housing. The tranny was loosened and shifted back from the engine to get the
> needed clearance.  If I remember correctly the bolts on the aluminum oil
> scroll thingy hung up on the bell housing.

Once the bolts are removed and the cap is lifted a bit from it's seat (I made a
special puller for this), I was able to pry it forward to clear.  As I recall
(has been a few years ago), the bolt heads foul on the flywheel if you try to
pull the cap straight down.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org