RE: TR3(A) Steering Box

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3(A) Steering Box
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 23:05:25 -0800
> In the process of rebuilding the steering box on my 59 TR3A, I notice
> there is a thin paper gasket between the end plate and the shim pack,
> but not one between the shim pack and the face of the steering box.
> Won't the lack of a gasket on the steering box side of the shim pack
> lead to oil seepage over time?

Seems to work fine for me.

>  Both surfaces (the inside of the end
> plate and the end of the steering box) seem to be machined similarly, so
> why only one gasket?

The gasket is because the machining is not perfect, but the shims are thin
enough to distort and follow any irregularities in the machining.

>  Will I screw things up if I use two gaskets?

Not as long as you compensate for their thickness when choosing the shim pack.
It's a fairly critical operation though (IMO), so get it as close as you can.  I
feel I'm pretty good at feeling small clearances by hand, but after trying it
both ways, I always recommend buying a (cheap) dial indicator and magnetic base
to measure the clearance with.  For under $25 for both at Enco, I think it would
be foolish not to buy one for this operation even if you never use it again.
(You're also welcome to borrow mine Dennis, as always.)

>  And
> finally, I'm assuming the shims themselves will compress tightly enough
> to make a decent seal, so no gasket is required between individual
> shims?

Again, works fine for me.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org