TR4 top question - revisited

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 top question - revisited
From: "Dean Mericas" <dmericas@limno.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 10:02:50 -0400
I'm still trying to sort out the top that I got recently for my TR4, and I'm
hoping you folks can help me gain some perspective.

What the issue boils down to is a pair of mystery straps that are mounted on
the inner flaps at the corners where the top meets the windscreen frame.
The original design has a hook installed on either leading corner, but these
hooks are absent. The elastic strap that normally runs long the top of the
side windows is also absent.

The mystery straps are sewn along the lower edge of the inner flaps, and
oriented vertically. The vendor tells me he's an MG guy and doesn't know
anything about TRs, and the manufacturer in the UK tells me this is the way
they are made, and I should twist the strap 90 degrees and attach it to the
inside of the windscreen frame.  This doesn't seem right to me, in part
because it will put a wrinkle/twist ion the flap.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm being too anal about this.  Has anyone else
encountered this type of design and found a happy solution?  FWIW, the
manufacturer is Don's Hoods in the UK.

Thanks.

Dean Mericas
1965 TR4