RE: Clutch MC Rebuild

To: "TR List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Clutch MC Rebuild
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 21:56:53 -0700
> I will be installing the rebuilt O/D and transmission onto the engine and
> installing same in my TR250 in a month or two.

It appears that the TR250 is different than even the early TR6, according to my
factory Spare Parts Catalogue.

> I can see that there are no
> dowel pins or dowel studs(?) on the rear plate of the engine and as I didn't
> disassemble this part of the car, I am pretty sure that I won't be able to
> locate the 'dowel bolt(s)' that came out of the car for the proper
> reassembly.

My TR250 SPC shows two dowel pins, P/N DP0612, described as "Dowel, engine plate
to gearbox".  However, the drawing shows the dowel next to the engine block,
even closer than the rear seal housing, so my guess is that the pins extend from
the cylinder block all the way through to the gearbox flange.  A DP0612 is 3/8"
in diameter and 3/4" long, which maybe supports my theory (ISTR the TR250
transmission flange is thinner than the TR6 also).  TRF has it listed as DP612,
which should be the same thing.

> My question to you all, is where do I find these 'dowell' bolts or studs and

MMC has them if none of the usual suspects do, but they will only sell a box of
50 (for a whopping $11.29:) P/N 98381A622.
http://www.mcmaster.com/

> where should they be located on the engine??

It's plate A, item A15 in my TR250 SPC.  Let me know if you need me to scan &
email you a copy.  It's also shown in the TRF TR250 catalog, plate AE, item 15.
(which looks to be copied from the SPC)

> There are only three threaded
> holes in the block that will accept studs or bolts from/through the bell
> housing, there are of course a bunch of through-bolts that go through the
> rear plate and the bell housing.

The SPC lists 3 studs, 139836; and 8 bolts.

> I see nothing about these special 'dowel'
> bolts or studs in any of the drawings.

I believe this area was revamped for increased strength, and that the "dowel
bolts" were introduced at that time.  Not sure just when the changes occurred,
but it seems to be between the introduction of the TR250 and the TR6.

All just supposition based on the manuals I have, of course.

HTH
Randall