Re: 'improvements' to a Triumph? (for use over 14,000 feet)

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 'improvements' to a Triumph? (for use over 14,000 feet)
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 08:40:27 -0600
AMfoto1@aol.com wrote:

>If you mean there was a vacuum in the gas tank, then there is something
>plugging up the vent. It should easily allow air in to prevent a gradual
>increase in vacuum as the fuel is removed from the tank. If not, *that* could
>certainly lead to some fuel supply problems. Later cars had a vented gas cap.
>Our
>'62s didn't.

Thanks for mentioning the vent; I'll try to blow some air back through
the vent to ensure it's clear. Looks okay from the bottom, maybe mud
wasps? Another change was that I replaced the leaky fuel filler neck
since the last time I went up Pikes Peak. I suppose the old rotted one
was an effective vent considering the gas smell. After the first stalls,
we turned around, went back down to the gate and had a snack, and took
another run at it in 10 minutes. It stalled at exactly the same place.
Even with the filler cap open, the car still wouldn't stay running on
the road up, so maybe there's something more to it.

>I think the heat shield to protect the carbs from headers or manifold heat
>is a good idea. But, I doubt any fresh air intake is necessary. Look at the
>gap between the hood and the valance. There is plenty of air getting into the
>engine compartment, above the radiator shroud.

Doesn't seem like there's much of a gap on mine. With the curved shape
of the front lip of the bonnet, seems little air would make it through.

>Assuming you still have the bumper on the car, an intake or two in the
>lower valance would direct a lot of air to the bottom of the radiator. An air
>dam
>or something like that is probably more than is needed.

That does give me something to think about. Since I've been considering
a skid plate for a while, I should consider some kind of extra air dam
to offset reduced air flow because of the skid plate. I probably won't
cut holes in the valance, but maybe I can find a solution that catches
more air. And I want those works fender grills on the project car, that
must help.

Two summers ago I went up Pikes Peak with the local Triumph club; the
only car that suffered serious vapor lock was a TR8. But they eventually
recovered. I had a momentary rough idle after a 10 minute break midway
up, but otherwise pulled strong all the way up. So I have hope. Here's a
photo from the top:
    http://www.newellboys.com/images/pikespeak2003.jpg

>   Pikes Peak is a tough climb for any car... or human. I camped at Devil's
>Playground once during the Hill Climb in July or August. It snowed. Word of
>advice, don't try to play frisbee at 12,780 ft.

I remember jumping out of the car at the top -- to jog to the bathroom.
I jogged several feet before I switched to an amble. If I didn't live at
about a mile high to begin with, I suppose someone would have had to
carry me to the bathroom. ;)

Steven Newell
Littleton, CO USA
'62 TR4 x 2