RE: Center Dash Knob Location

To: "TR" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Center Dash Knob Location
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 17:02:59 -0700
> Wouldn't the panel light switch be at the top if it is on/off -- and
> center if it is the rheostat?
>
> Thought it began life at the top and had to be moved down because the
> rheostat was too big to fit in that position.

That's certainly the way I understand it, and the way it's documented in the
owner's manuals.  My "59" TR3A (actually made in fall of 58) did not have the
rheostat and so had the panel light switch at the top.  As I recall, cars were
made both ways for awhile, so even the commission number is not a certain guide.

What is a certain guide is the size of the hole in the center of the dash panel.
If it's the same size as the hole at the top, then the car should not have a
rheostat and the panel light switch should be at the top.  If the center hole is
larger, then it's for a rheostat and the wiper switch goes in the top hole.  The
other possibility is apparently that the car was originally fitted with
two-speed wipers (the larger two-speed switch has to go in the center), but I've
never found such a car.  And, I've no idea how both two-speed wipers and a dash
rheostat were fitted to the same car, most likely the two options were
incompatible.

Randall