Re: Hood release -- the magic auto-opener

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hood release -- the magic auto-opener
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 08:44:13 -0600
CarlSereda@aol.com wrote:

>Once adjusted correctly, it should work like a charm. I can easily open mine,
>then simply drop hood from 12 inches to close. ...During a heat wave and stuck
>in traffic you can reach over and pop the hood to get much more air passage
>through engine compartment to cool things off.

Drew, Carl is a well known wild risk taker but I lay down my bonnet then
press is shut with my open palm over the latch. It goes without saying
that I always wear white gloves to shut the bonnet. His 12 inches are
probably adequate, but a careless hood-slamming can leave little dimples
from the carbs in the metal (the last 14 words are *not* tongue in
cheek). I've also used the open-bonnet trick in traffic during the one
or two hot weeks a year in Denver, but Carl is crazy to drop it shut
while driving -- that's way too dangerous, which is why I have one of my
boys climb over the windscreen to push it closed while I concentrate on
driving.

I've never had a problem with the bonnet flopping around even at highway
speed while unlatched, but if you regularly use Carl's Crazy Cooling
Caper you could install a later hood latch with a safety catch as seen
on TR6's.

As for your bonnet popping open in use, if you've removed the cable to
confirm it's moving freely in it's sheath, check 1. the adjustment of
the plunger, and 2. that the spring on the underside of the catch is
installed and working well. And since you need to line up the bonnet
anyway, a. install an emergency release cable on your bonnet release, b.
realign the bonnet, then c. realign the plunger. Best.

Steven Newell
Littleton, CO USA
'62 TR4 x 2 etc.