VTR 2005 showfield - Spitfire bias

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: VTR 2005 showfield - Spitfire bias
From: "Ann and Tim Buja" <buja@insightbb.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 16:43:03 -0500
Jack McGahey wrote:
> The Spitfires got a central location in the show at Rockford
> while the big
> TRs got shoved over into another lot - I heard the event Concour
> Chairman say he wouldn't have it any other way on his watch!

I was the Concours Chair, and I laid out the show lot with the help of
several other folks from ISOA.  We decided to put the Concours and
Participants' Choice cars together, separated by model, so all the cars of a
specific model would be seen together and there would be no complaints that
one show group or the other had a "better" location.  We also had to work
around a number of "civilian" cars parked in desirable areas that could not
be moved.

The east parking lot had three rows.   Since the Stag and TR3 were the
featured models, the center row was set aside for Stags (34) and TR2s (5),
TR3s (8), 3As (24) and 3Bs (1).  The Concours Stags also filled the north
end of the first row.  As Jack stated, I was not going to entertain
complaints from Spitfire and GT6 owners that they had been pushed off into
the "back 40" on my watch, so the 28 Spitfires and 6 GT6s were placed into
the third row.  The remaining spaces in the east lot were insufficient to
hold the 43 TR6s in a single group, so the TR6s were placed in the north lot
with 11 TR4s, 6 TR4As, and 6 TR250s.  TR7s, TR8s, Modified, and Special
Interest classes filled out the remaining spaces in the first and third rows
in the east lot.

We spent over two hours late on Thursday night designing the show field
layout for the next morning.  I didn't get a single complaint from the
Spitfire owners about being in the furthest row out in the east lot, but I
did hear a couple of rumors that the TR6 owners weren't happy in the north
lot.  We tried our best to get make a compact and sensible show field layout
with the numbers of cars we had to work with in each group.  I guess we just
can't win 'em all...

Results will be posted soon on the www.vtr2005.org and www.vtr.org websites
for all of the awards that were given.  Give me a couple of days to catch up
on my sleep and unpack the convention stuff from my garage...

I can assure you that the lot layout was the only place that there was a
bias toward any particular model of Triumph.  All of the awards were based
solely on the quality of the cars and the abilities of their drivers and
navigators.  If you think otherwise, please contact me off-list.

Tim Buja - VTR 2005 Registrar / Concours Chair - Rockford, IL