RE: Speaker Locations

To: "'Mark'" <mini@nashvilletn.org>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Speaker Locations
From: "R. Ashford Little II" <70TR6@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 17:57:35 -0500
Hey Mark,

I've got a TR6, but will share with you my experiences and results.  I went
with separates in the front, a 5 1/4 inch midrange mounted in the kidney
panels and tweeters in the dash vents (they don't do anything anyway unless
you have AC.  I used an Alpine CD player with an outboard amp so I would
have plenty of power.  I hoped that this would allow me to not have to mount
any speakers in the rear.  There really isn't a good place for a speaker of
adequate size to make a difference, and the top would most likely block a
good portion of the sound anyway.  I also didn't want to use surface mounted
or boxed speakers since I frequently throw stuff back there. So that's the
route I took.

After my install, I was greatly disappointed with the lack of bass from my
speakers, which are MB Quarts and of good quality.  I then realized that
without an enclosed area to help the bass I would not have good results.
The tweeters did work nicely though since higher frequencies are very
directional and tend to get lost when mounted down low.

I contemplated various avenues, but ended up buying a set of 6x9 speakers
and putting them in boxes on the rear deck.  The results were immediate and
pleasing.  If I'm ever going on a long trip and need that extra space then I
can simply disconnect them and leave them at home - otherwise when I want to
crank up the tunes, I can actually hear the music.

Cheers,

R. Ashford Little II
'70 TR6
CC54994