Bench bleading

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bench bleading
From: "Steve" <stevestr6@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 23:33:18 -0800
Hi-
  I just bought a new clutch master from Apple Hydraulics - for my TR6 -
and with it came a note recommending performing a bench bleed. It was a
generic note, probably one they send with all of their items. I am
concerned for my paint work as I am using DOT4 (I don't need to get into
a discussion of 4 vs.5, I'll still be using 4). Anyway I don't want
bench bleed it because of the mess I'll have when I try to reconnect
things.

Has anyone had any issues bleeding these in the car, any problems
getting the air out? I suppose I could bench bleed it with all the
tubing attached and then reinstall it as a unit?

How is this generally done?

Thanks,
Steve