RE: Won't start, out of ideas

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Won't start, out of ideas
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 09:20:48 -0800
> After I found TDC on the number one cylinder, I connected a volt
> meter to the distributor low tension lead to the coil and set it
> at 10 deg BTDC just as the voltage dropped.

I assume you were turning the distributor backwards (retarding) as it
dropped ?  Normally the spark happens as the points open, and it's best to
set the timing as you advance the dizzy, in case there's any play in the
advance mechanism.

> I'm not sure what you mean by "verify timing mark by piston
> movement on number six". Can you elaborate?

The concern is that the timing mark on the front pulley may be inaccurate
(someone posted here just a couple days ago about this problem).  It's a
rare thing, but since you are having strange problems...  The test is to
install a piston stop into #6, then gently turn the engine until it hits the
stop.  Make a pencil mark on the front pulley, then turn the engine the
other way until it meets the stop again.  Make another mark, then check that
the TDC mark is halfway between the two pencil marks.

Piston stops may be purchased commercially (any speed shop should have them)
or you can make your own by breaking the ceramic out of an old spark plug
and threading the shell for a bolt.  You may need to grind the head off the
bolt to get it through the plug opening.

What do the plugs look like ?  Have you tried new or "known good" ones ?

Randall