The wrong way to sovle a Fuel Problem

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: The wrong way to sovle a Fuel Problem
From: "Triumph TR4" <triumphtr4@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 21:34:45 -0500
I thought I'd enlighten you with a hard lesson.  I just recently completed
a frame up restoration.  I set my fuel tank outside to avoid fuel fumes in
the garage, while it  vaporized to remaining fuel.  I left it out side for
several weeks.  Somewhat later, I installed a new fuel sender and installed
it in the TR4.  I connected the lines to the new fuel filter, to the pump
and on to the carburetors.  I then put fuel in the tank and attempted to
start the engine.  After a few minutes of attempting to start the car, it
kicked over and ran, but didn't have any rpm's .  Every time I would
attempt to increase RPM, it would stall.  At first I thought it was timing,
but quickly determined it was fuel starvation.  Here is where my reasoning
broke down.  I assumed it was the fuel filter, which may have been
contaminated by dirt in the lines, that I had not purged.  I removed the
filter and blew it out.  This did not help the situation.  I removed the
carbs and checked the float bowls, jets, needle valves and found everything
OK.  Still the problem.  I then removed the fuel pump and took it apart.
Everything OK.  While, it was out I noticed, that there was no fuel running
from the disconnected line.  Then the light bulb went off!  I must have a
obstruction in the fuel line.  I took my air hose and blew the line out
from the pump interface to the tank.  At first, there was no  bubbling from
the tank, and then a loud bubbling.  Put everything back together, and the
car runs perfectly.  Why didn't I start with the tank first!  Thinking on
this a while, I came to the conclusion that during the time the tank set
outside, an insect known as a "mud dabbler" here in Florida, had made a
nest in the line, clogging it.

I guess, this is equivalent to the electrical trouble shooting question-
Did you check to see if it is plugged in?