RE: What's wrong w/ old carb needles?

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: What's wrong w/ old carb needles?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 15:40:55 -0800
> Is there anything wrong with using old carb needles if they are straight and
> true and seem only to be 'stained' from past use?

How certain are you that they are not worn ?  Even .001" can make a difference
to mixture, and I can't see .001".

Normally needles don't wear of course, but if someone has been lax about
centering, they do wear.  Results can be unpleasant ... I blame a "swallowed"
valve that happened to my Dad's TR3A many years ago on worn jets & needles.  Can
cause mysterious overheating problems, too.

New needles are cheap insurance, IMO.  I even change the jets now, if there's
any question about them.

Randall