Re: Flywheel:How lite is too lite?

To: John Mitchell <jmitch@snet.net>
Subject: Re: Flywheel:How lite is too lite?
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 23:11:12 -0500 (EST)
Cc: 6-Pack <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, John Mitchell wrote:

>     I have a 19lb flywheel now, but for my engine rebuild, I've obtained
> a wheel lightened to about 12lbs.   Is this too lite for street use?
> What kind of problems , if any can I expect.     Thanks in Advance,
> John Mitchell   76 TR6

The only problem with a flywheel that's 12 pounds is that it might be
weakened from loosing all the mass. Presuming that your crank is the
late-style, that's easily 1/2 of the stock flywheel weight, maybe a tad
more. That's a lot of metal to shed and still maintain reasonable
strength.

I'm not sure I'd go that light for a flywheel that is not routinely
checked for cracks.

As far as drivability, 12 pounds would be no problem. Keep in mind two
things about flywheel mass as it related to TR6's - the stock crank weighs
in at darn close to 80 pounds... losing 12 pounds at one end is not
reducing the rotasting mass that much... HOWEVER - losing weight at the
flywheel is good because you take most of the weight off at the outside of
the wheel where it actually puts more stress on the last crank throw...
losing weight on the flywheel is always good for a TR6 motor. Period. If
you spin the motor more than the stock 5800 RPM redline, losing weight on
the flywheel is ESSENTIAL.

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |