More on Mille Miglia play

To: "triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: More on Mille Miglia play
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 04:17:38 -0600 iBIAITAC030445
Heres a little more info, and now I will shut up.  Sorry for perpetuating
this thread, but its 4:00 am in the Midwest and I cant sleep...

By the way, the play was shown in 1968, not 1969.

This is taken from the following website:

http://www.iainfisher.com/atholfi.html

                                1968 Mille Miglia

A surprising Fugard piece written by Fugard for television. It is about
motor racing with Stirling Moss and Denis Jenkinson preparing for the race
at Mille Miglia "I can still see it so clearlythe pit crew were nervousthe
mechanic with the petrol fumbledLindemaiers overalls were in flames".
Tom Stoppard (in Stephen Grey4s Athol Fugard) says "the scenes where they
sat side by side at a table, Moss miming at a wheel, Jenkinson signalling
like a machine, shouting the kilometers and mimicking the horn...had the
weird perfection of pure sound made".

Written for the BBC during a difficult time for Fugard "Really feel the loss
of my passport for the first time these past two weeks. Re-examining and
reworking Mille Miglia for Robin Midgley in London. The BBC have invited me
to London for the filming".

It was filmed in colour, but because technology was then not good enough to
shoot in colour on location, it meant the entire story had to be filmed
indoors.

Stirling Moss objected to his portrayal which led to restrictions on the
film being shown.

"I dont know which had the greatest shame, the man or the carpeople say he
was driving to kill himself"

"A thousand miles to get nowhere".

The TV play was been adapted for the theatre as "Drivers" by David Muir.

Mike