RE: TR3 Ignition mystery

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: TR3 Ignition mystery
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:15:01 -0800
> If you're interested in going to another electronic igintion you might want to
> consider a Crane unit. I know of a few people in our club that uses them with
> no negative feedback, and no failures.

I'm not in John's club (AFAIK), but I had a terrible time getting my Crane
XR3000 to work to my satisfaction; and even now I can't
say it runs any better than points.

I ran for many years using points to trigger a MSD 6, and although the spark
scatter looked gruesome, the engine ran well, started
easy and pulled strong with the MSD 6.  Also never had to replace points, but I
did have to fiddle with the gap & timing every
couple of years or so.  Needed some other adjustments for the MSD, like colder
plugs and a modified dizzy cap, but it worked quite
well.

After I finally figured out that the old Lucas rotor was hitting on the Crane
pickup, it ran OK but no better then points.  Still
harder to start and needs more choke than with the MSD 6.  My plan (before the
car was wrecked) was to switch to the Crane XR700 as
a pickup, and use it to trigger a MSD 6 module again.

Randall