TR4's first outing

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4's first outing
From: McRuss <wtrrtw@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 19:43:26 -0700 (PDT)
Well, not the first but the first of any distance, about 40 miles round trip.
Some observations and attending questions:

Oil pressure was 50 on the way out (to the monthly local TR club meeting) on
the freeway at 50-60 mph.  At idle it was about 20-30.  After setting for about
2 hours, on the way back pressure dropped to about 30-40 at highway speeds,
still 20-30 at idle.  I'm running 10-30 Castrol.  I have no idea how many miles
are on the engine but it does not burn oil and sounds tight.  Should I go to a
heavier weight oil?  Oh, ambient temps in the low 80s or high 70s tonight.

Engine temp is in Centigrade, ran just under 1/2 (70) all the way.

Soft glow from the gen/alt light when engine running, never got brighter or
dimmer with revs (alt conversion is done in such a way that the amp guage shows
discharge only....I guess.)  Thoughts?

Clutch is grabby...difficult to get under way in 1st gear from a stop with out
a lot of chatter and lurching.  Good pedal, no problem shifting, etc.  I
suspect contamination...could it be from a rear main or?  No leaks (in that
area anyway!)

Other than that, it took me there AND brought me back.

Russ Locke
San Antonio, TX
(but a Coloradian forever....)
'98 KLR650, '04 FJR1300, '64 TR4