Help needed in Norway - again

To: "INTERNET:TERJE_KOLBEINSEN@bluezone.no" <TERJE_KOLBEINSEN@bluezone.no>
Subject: Help needed in Norway - again
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 18:22:29 -0400
Cc: "Car, Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net> i74MNLt2005189
Message text written by INTERNET:TERJE_KOLBEINSEN@bluezone.no
>Today I was fidling around with a multimeter and I measured between + on
coil and  first - on coil, then all the way to the fixed part on the
breaker points - always reading approx 12,5V.  Opening / closing the
points does no difference, so obviously something is wrong.  Any ideas..
<

The most common cause of this is an error in assemblying the points, etc.
There is a wire from the terminal (to the distributor) and a wire fromt he
condensor that get attached to the points under the nut.  There is also a
shoulder washer (a litttle plastic piece with a stepped diameter) that is
intended to insulate the point spring and these two wires from the breaker
plate.  With this the only path to ground is through the points.  Quite
frequently the two wires are assembled on top of the washer in direct
contact with the nut which will provide a full time path to ground for the
coil.

The two wires should be underneath the shoulder washer and in contact with
the spring for the points.

Good luck

Dave Massey
St. Louis, MO USA