Soldering bullet connectors

To: "Jeff Tedder" <jtedder68@cox.net>
Subject: Soldering bullet connectors
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 07:48:25 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net i7QBndt2032626
Message text written by "Jeff Tedder"
>Does anyone have any sure-fire ways to solder new bullet connectors
(solder-only type)?  I got a bunch from British Wiring, but the method I
am using (tin the wire, then heat the bullet and apply solder) doesn't
seem to work that great - you end up with very little solder filling the
body of the bullet.  I can't pull the wire out of the bullet, but I am
worried that it is not a long-term solution.  Any help is appreciated.
<

Bullet connectors are never long term solutions!

Seriously, like welding, soldering is one of those things that is easy to
do but hard to do well.  Experience makes a big difference.   One the one
hand you might get more solder to stick to the bullet if you pack the ID
with some flux (use rosin flux, not plumbing type).  On the other hand, all
the additional solder will wick up the wire making it less fragile and more
prone to breakage.  If there is enough solder to hold the wire to the
bullet then there is certainly enough solder to carry the current.  The
bullet doesn't have to be full.

Another thing to check is which type of bullet do you have.  There are
solder type and crimp type.  Speaking of which, British Wire carry a bullet
crimper.  Not cheap but if you do a lot of them it will save time and money
and give a more consistant result.

Dave

Check out the new British Cars Forum: