Re: J type overdrive on TR3a

To: Paul Dorsey <dorpaul@negia.net>
Subject: Re: J type overdrive on TR3a
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:48:15 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Paul
  I assume you were thinking of using an entire gearbox/OD combo from a later
car?  I don't think there is a mainshaft that will connect the non-synchro
gearbox to the J-type OD.
  There is a tech feature on the (most excellent) Buckeye Triumphs website
about adapting the J-type OD to TR250 and early TR6 frames that were designed
for the A-type:

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/JOD/AdaptingJOD/AdaptingJOD.htm

  This should also apply to the 3A, in spirit if not in exact dimensions (the
non-synchro 2/3/3A gearbox is a little shorter than the later synchro box, I
believe).
  You might also check with John Esposito at Quantum Mechanics
(www.quantumechanics.com).  He sells a conversion kit.

  Good luck!
-Nick Wolf
nwolf@u.washington.edu

>Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 23:55:06 -0400
>From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
>Subject: J type overdrive on TR3a?
>
>Hi,
>Can the Laycock J type overdrive be used on the TR3(with some modifications)?
>
>Please respond ASAP,
>thanks,
>Paul Dorsey
>60 TR3a