RE: Something new about tires....???

Subject: RE: Something new about tires....???
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 09:12:15 -0700
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> Hope this helps, rather than confuse.  But please remember, the air
> doesn't really hold mositure !!
> Bud Precht

If you'll pardon my saying so, Bud, I think you're splitting semantic hairs
here.  "Moisture" means a small amount of water, and air does contain a
small amount of water, in vapor form.

The use of nitrogen instead of air was well discussed on one of the racing
lists some time ago, the consensus seems to be that it's main advantage is
consistency.  With compressed air, the water (vapor) content varies
considerably, which has a small but measurable effect on how much the
pressure in the tire rises as the tire heats up.  Racing tires are very
sensitive to pressure, just a few psi can make a difference not only in
handling but in life of the tire.

But I suspect the main advantage on the street is that with no water vapor
in the tire, it cannot condense and promote rust on the inside of the wheel.
I've had some wheels ruined by rust, so it seems like a good idea to me.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: