TR4 Trunnions

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net, owner-triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 Trunnions
From: john.dunham@teradyne.com
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 11:13:38 -0400 |July 24, 2002) at 07/08/2004 11:13:12 AM
Sorry if this gets posted twice...
I have been rebuilding the front suspension as I frame off restore my 62
TR4.  In the Haynes manual, the book describes that the proper way to
achieve 0.004" to 0.012" worth of proper clearance, fit the necessary
washers & rubber rings, slip the wishbone onto the pin, slip the outer
washer, torque the nut to 5 ft-lbs, then back off a few flats. Then insert
the cotter pin.
My question is this:  5 ft-lbs seems awful low.  I have 3 different books,
all describing the same spec.  When I try to torque the nut to 5 ft-lbs,
there is interference between the splines on the trunnion pin and the
washer.  If I  torque to 5-ft lbs, (quickly reached as the washer start to
interfere on the splines) it looks like I have a boatload of clearance
(1/4"?).
Also, it is impossible to use feeler gauge to measure final clearances, as
the rubber pieces get in the way.
Any advice would be a great help.
Thank in advance,
John Dunham