Re: [TR6] thermostat for electric fan - fits tee for vacuum switch?

To: "David Brister" <brister@tiscali.fr>
Subject: Re: [TR6] thermostat for electric fan - fits tee for vacuum switch?
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 13:50:54 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net i62HqkOJ015865
Message text written by "David Brister"
>I have noticed that the thermoswitch on many modern cars is located about
two thirds down the radiator on the side, I presume there is a good reason
for this. When converting my TR to a electric fan I soldered a 22mm  half
nut to the back of the radiator header tank so you just screw the switch
into it.
Seems to have worked well for me.
<

If it is a cross flow radiator (I assume it is if the tank is vertical)
then it doesn't matter where it is mounted except that if it is too high it
will not be submerged in coolant should the system fill go low (leak?).
But with a vertical radiator where the upper reservoir (header tank) is
across the top there is the possibility that the cooling system fill gets
low and the temp switch is not covered with coolant and although there is
still enough coolant to keep up with the heat load the fan switch may not
function properly.  In this case the upper hose is a better location.

But what you have is certainly better looking and as long as you monitor
the coolant level you should be just fine.

Dave Massey