red stripe

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: red stripe
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 11:35:31 -0500
A number of years ago when i purchased my TR6 I also purchased new tires. I
wanted the red line but I wanted modern tires that I knew handled well. I
purchased a set of Goodyears from a company who milled a shallow slot in
the side walls and vulcanized a red stripe in it. They did this as a
regular part of their business.

All went well for a few months and then the red stripe started to darken.
Now after several years, the tires still have 20,000 miles left in them,
but the strip is indistinguishable from the rest of the tire.

I've tried all sorts of magic elixirs, to no avail. I've looked for
striping paints or crayons and haven't been able to find any. I've searched
the internet looking for tire striping stuff but if there is anything on
the net, I haven't found it yet.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to make the stripe red again?

Thanks

uncle jack