Starter update

To: "triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Starter update
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 13:46:23 -0400 from [4.12.36.162] at Mon, 26 Jul 2004 12:46:47 -0500
Thanks to those who responded to my appeal for help!  I looked at the
situation again last night and designed a "special tool" consisting of
grinding my ball joint spreader to the proper dimension to wedge between the
washer and the groove in the shaft.  I was able to compress the spring on
the aftermarket pinion sleeve enough to get a hex wrench on the set screw
and extract it.  I soon found that the screw was not the normal cup bottom
set screw, but a dog point hex screw.  No one in town had one, so I went to
McMaster Carr and ordered one - package of 25 that is.  Smallest quantity
available.  Price wasn't bad especially considering the cost of a
replacement starter.  I now have the parts and know how to repair said
started so if any of you had TRF rebuild your starter and you find it
spinning but not engaging drop me a line.  The set screw appears to be the
weak link as it holds the pinion in place on the shaft.

Thanks again for those who responded.
Pete