RE: Grease on Gearbox Input Shaft?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Grease on Gearbox Input Shaft?
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 15:11:35 -0700
> I'm about to reinstall the gearbox on my TR3A.  Should I put some
>  grease on
> the splines  of the gearbox  input shaft before mating it to  the engine
> through the clutch housing?  Or is this best left clean and  dry?

Definitely no grease !

If you want to lube it, a light coating of a 'dry' lubricant like graphite
or MoS2 would probably be OK, but you definitely don't want anything that
would trap dust & dirt, or get sticky or gummy with time.

But dry works just fine.

> Can't wait to see if the rebuilt starter will do its thing.

You do realize the transmission is not essential for starter operation,
right ?  All you need are a couple of shorter bolts.

Randall