RE: GT6 tire size recommendations?

To: "'Steve Myers'" <mountainunicycle@yahoo.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: GT6 tire size recommendations?
From: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 17:27:20 -0700
Steve,

Way back at the dawn of time (ok.... About 25 years ago) I used to autocross
a GT6 Mk3.  Back then, the tires I used were 175/70-13.  Since the GT6 has
narrow 4.5" wide rims, your selection is limited.  Looking at the Tire Rack
website, there are about 20 different 175/70-13 tires, ranging from mere rim
protectors to "H" rated tires (all-season medium performance tires).  If you
wanted to go a bit wider, you could try a 185/60-13.  In that size, the Tire
Rack shows an all-out racing radial (Hoosier R3S03 - not suitable for
street) or a Sumitomo HTR200 (380 AA rating, "H" speed rating).  Officially
(looking at the manuf. Specs), the 185/60 is supposed to go on a 5" wide rim
(minimum), but it would fit on your 4.5" rims.  If you want to do it
correctly, get a set of wider rims and wider tires.

Hope this helps,

Hugh Barber
'70 Spitfire Mk3 (first car - sold)
'73 GT6 Mk3 (lost to ex-wife)