more valve spring confusion

To: "tri" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: more valve spring confusion
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 08:54:46 -0400
Now I'm really confused!  I'm rebuilding my two engines, one from a '60 TR3A
the other from a '66 TR4. Eventually I hope to make one good motor from using
the best of each.  When I pulled off the valve springs on the '60 model, I
found 3 valve springs on each exhaust valve and two on the intake valves.  But
when I did it on the '66 TR4 motor, I found 3 springs on the intake and 2 on
the exhaust valves!  I had been told these motors are suppose to be alike and
I have chosen to reassemble the '66 head (as it looks better), but how many
springs should I use on each valve?

p.s.- I'm sorry if this sounds familiar as I wrote-in before disgusted with
the Haynes Manual misprint regarding this info.  However, at that time, I had
only disassembled the TR3 head.  (Thanks Randall and Jeff)
Thanks,
Paul Dorsey