Re: Speedometer error with overdrive

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: Re: Speedometer error with overdrive
From: "Anthony Rhodes" <spamiam@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 07:21:02 -0400
Yes, you are right.  I had meant, I thought the TR6 speedos were always 1000
with the J-type.  I was not positive if they had differing drive gears for
the A-types or not.  On the earlier cars with the A-types, the drive ratio
was always the same (10:15, I think).

I have not torn down a J-type my self, and it has been a few years since I
did my A-type.  At least on the A-type, I thought the speedo drive gear was
able to be removed from the outside (MUST be removed from the outside) in
order to dismantle the OD.  Also, on the A-type, there is a scroll (10
lands, I think) on the OD output shaft to turn the speedo drive gear, and
this is not able to be altered (at least without exchanging the entire
part).  I presume that there were different OD drive gears than the
"standard", whatever that was (15 teeth, I think).

Were there different speedo drive gears ("driven gear", as you more properly
called it), or were they always the same?  I'd have thought it would be
easier to change these plastic doodads from the outside and keep the same
scroll on the "drive gear".  (it would also allow a slightly finer ability
to alter the ratio.  I presume that since the adjustment is SO coarse when
altering only ONE of the gears that they BOTH must have been able to be
altered....

-Tony