Starter handle for TR3A

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Starter handle for TR3A
From: "Eric K." <tr3a@xs4all.nl>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 18:44:33 +0200 (CEST)
Hello Listers,

I went to see the distinguished PO of my TR last weekend. It was, er...
interesting, to say the least. I am now quite sure he and I have
completely different philosophies about enjoying classic cars. Just before
I drove off, he noticed a greasy fingermark on the gleaming black
paintwork of the TR and immediately started polishing it out. It's a good
thing he doesn't know I'll actually be maintaining and driving the car a
lot more than I'll be polishing it, or he'll have a fit.

Anyway, he was a nice bloke, as he dug up the old, rusty starter handle
that had come with the car when he got it and donated it to me. Thank you
very much, I thought, that'll come in handy when I have to set the valve
clearances.

There's just one problem: it won't engage in anything. There's a hole in
the radiator, it goes in, but there doesn't seem to be a dog on the
crankshaft, at least not one that fits my crank handle. I've tried peering
at the front of the crankshaft with a mirror on a stick, but I can't see
anything.

See http://www.intuh.net/startinghandle.jpg for a picture of the end of
the handle. The thick end is 1" in diameter and the bit sticking out at
the end is about 7/16". I know there were different starting handles for
TR2/3 (P/N 107863), TR3A (118366) and TR4 (131818), but I don't know how
to tell them apart. Is what I have a TR3A handle? Or could it be that the
DPO had another dog installed on the crankshaft? How can I find out?

TIA.

Eric

--
'57 TR3a TS23315L - black