Re: engine racing

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: engine racing
From: IkeLevine@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 05:16:47 EDT
A plea from a long time driver but novice fixer uppera

I have a 74 tr6 that has been mechanically maintained by one of your
bretheren and I am trying to get this one fixed while he is busy with his
restoration.

The engine is inconsistantly racing.

Mornings are no problem.   I can drive fifty miles or more with no problem.
BUT, if I turn off the car and let it sit an hour or two then start it up,
especially if I use the choke, the engine will idle at 1500 but after a very
short time will race up to 3000 or 4000 rpm.  It isn't a stuck accelerator
peddle,
you can't reduce the engine speed physically by manually releasing a stuck
linkage or carborator setting.

At first we thought that a vaccum hose was loose but none can be
found........

Any suggestions?  Thanks to the collective in advance for any advice.

cheers,

Ike
74 tr6