RE: Air Compressors

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Air Compressors
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 18:33:48 -0700
> What is the most important feature to look for?  I've seen some that run
> high pressure (175) but smaller tanks, others with lower pressure but
> larger tanks. Or do I simply look at the psi/cfm numbers for various
> psi's?

Depends on how you plan to use it.  If your goal is to be able to sand blast
continuously, then you have to have a compressor that will deliver the cfm.
Obviously, in that case, you need to know how much your sand blaster takes
... and then multiply by about 7 to get the required compressor rating.

After you check that out, we can talk about how big tanks and/or high
pressures can extend your run time when trying to use a compressor that
doesn't put out as much air as your tool uses.

Even a smallish blaster with a small tip takes 4 cfm @ 90 psi, which means
you need a compressor rated at 28 scfm @ 90 psi, which is one whale of a
compre$$or.  Note that all compressors are rated in scfm, even if it doesn't
say so.  'Honest' makers say so, those trying to make their compressors look
better don't say so, but they're all rated in scfm.

Randall