Spitfire electronic dizzy wiring problem -

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire electronic dizzy wiring problem -
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:46:42 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In trying to wire in the new distributor I have run into a little snag.
The 1977 federal breakerless Spitfire distributor that I have has three
wires a red/blue, a white/blue, and a white/gray (slate). The problem is
that NONE of the wiring diagrams that I have list such a combination. They
have the other wires but not the red/blue.  I am assuming, and my gut
feeling is that I should wire it as shown but substitute the red/blue for
the white wire that is on all the diagrams that I have and is the only
different wire - that would connect it to the one side of the drive
resistor and the + 12volts.  The white/blue would be connected to the other
side of the drive resistor, and the white/gray would be connected to the
negative side of the coil as shown on the diagrams.  Does this sound
correct, or could someone with a 77 > Spitfire with this type of
distributor (the electronics are all mounted on an aluminum box screwed
onto the side of the dizzy) take a look and see if that is how theirs is
wired (the red/blue on the dizzy side of the connector is connected to a
white wire on the wiring harness side)?  Does that make any sense??
Thanks for any help - I would rather not let all the smoke out at first
start up :-)

Barry Schwartz (San Diego)
---