RE: Carb Jet question

To: "'levilevi'" <levilevi@comcast.net>, <trinitygadget@alltel.net>, "'Sally or Dick Taylor'" <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Subject: RE: Carb Jet question
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 22:37:44 -0400
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Thanks Bud!

I'm headed to Sears ;)

  _____

From levilevi [mailto:levilevi at comcast.net]
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2004 9:50 PM
To: trinitygadget@alltel.net; Sally or Dick Taylor
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net; 6pack@autox.team.net; Adam C Beasley

Adam asked about what tools to use to measure the depth of the jet so I
thought I'd send it to the list too in case anyone else might want to hear
it.  Here's what I did:

Get a 3/8 inch bolt (about 2 1/2 inches long) and two nuts, put the two nuts
on the 3/8 inch bolt and grind the end of the bolt fairly flat, ...measure
your depth from the bottom of the newly flat part of the bolt to the bottom
of the bottom nut...you can set the jets from 0.85 (lean)-0.185 (rich)
inches depending on altitude/desired mixture etc.  I set mine at 0.125 inch
since I wanted them set a little leaner for the altitude here in Denver.  If
you're closer to sea level I'd start at half way (0.135 inch) so you'll have
the full adjusting range (1 full turn either left (lean) or right (rich)
with your adjustable needles.  Once you've measured the depth on the bolt (I
used a 6" dial caliper with a depth measuring rod...necessary if you want to
precisely measure the jet depth) lock those nuts together..measure again,
loosen, tighten, measure, loosen, measure...well you get the idea, until
you've got it perfect.  Only then tap that jet down with your the new tool
you've just made and measured very carefully.   Measure the depth from the
from the bridge to the top of the jet using your dial caliper.  Try not to
overshoot cause you don't want to be driving that jet back and forth a lot.
You do have to whack it pretty good (you won't need no stinking loctite).
But be careful, you don't want to crack the carb body by going crazy with
the hammer.

Bud Rolofson
71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
66TR4A CTC57806 (The Wreck-Almost Parts)
66TR4A CTC57529 (The Project)
71F-250 Camper Special (Triumph Support Vehicle)