Re: TR3A Antenna Placement Options

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3A Antenna Placement Options
From: "Eric K." <tr3a@xs4all.nl>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 17:47:38 +0200 (CEST)
Cc: MotoPsyche@aol.com
MotoPsyche@aol.com said:
> Time to get serious about sound.  What are some correct placement options
> for installing a radio antenna on the 3A?  Any general tips on types and
> sizes of antennas and installation?

Before I give my opinion, let me get one thing clear: it's your car, so
you're free to do with it whatever you like.

But...

Personally, I wouldn't put a radio in a TR3A, or any other convertible
classic car for that matter.
First of all, the best sound in the TR3A comes from the engine, I can't
think why anyone would want to overpower that with a radio. There's no
music that can beat it.
Secondly, it's an open car, which should be driven open as much as
possible (driving it with the top up is no fun at all, I think). It's also
a noisy car, so any music coming from the radio needs to be played louder
than usual for the occupants to hear it. That means it will be loud enough
to be heard by people outside the car, who may not be partial to your
choice of music.

Perhaps you drive your TR on the occasional longer trip and you want to
have some music to make the journey less tedious. May I respectfully
suggest you don't drill an extra hole in the car, but think of another
solution? At the last Techno Classcia exhibition in Essen, Germany (the
largest classic cars exhibition in Europe, if not the world), one of the
exhibitors had a tiny Fiat 500 on display, that he had driven to Essen
from I don't know where, hundreds of miles away. He had made a portable
solution, of which I've put a photograph on http://www.intuh.net/radio.jpg
- I thought it was pretty neat.

> Awaiting good reception...

I hope I'm coming through loud and clear, although I may not be playing
the tune you want to hear. ;-)

Eric - with a radio in his Spitfire, which is not connected to anything
but is only there to fill up a hole.

--
1957 TR3a TS23315L - black
1976 Spit FH88257L - Java green