Early TR4 Steering Rack Mount Conversion

To: owner-triumphs@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Early TR4 Steering Rack Mount Conversion
From: john.dunham@teradyne.com
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:34:59 -0400 |July 24, 2002) at 04/26/2004 11:34:41 AM
Sorry if this gets posted twice...
Long time list reader, first time poster.  I am amazed at the
information... Anyway, I am full into my frame-off resto of my 62 TR4.
Frame is back from the sandblaster, and I have a few patches to clean up,
but all looks well.  Prior to powdercoating, I am trying to decide if I
follow Roger Williams advice, and convert the steering rack mounts to the
later version.  My 62 currently has the "ear-styled" somewhat flimsy
looking steering rack mount design.  I fortunately have a complete (but
very rusty) 64 TR4 with later style rack and mounting braces.
Any input on making the switch or not?  Also seems as though Williams
suggests that the best solution is to use the later style mounting braces
with the early style rack (seems there is a roughly 10mm difference in
length between racks?)
Any input or comments would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
John Dunham
Development Engineering
Teradyne Connection Systems