TR6 rotor question

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 rotor question
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 19:03:54 -0700
I got a call from a guy that just bought a TR6 that was in storage for the
past 5 years wanting advice on getting it going.  Couldn't turn down an
opportunity to poke around so I went to take a look. He's a long way from
cruising, a real long way, and I will introduce him to the list so get ready
for lots of questions.

One thing had me puzzeled though. He had turned the engine over (hopefully
he didn't do any internal damage in the process), but when he cranks the
engine, it breaks the little dog off the rotor that fits into the notch on
the distributor shaft. He's gone through 3 rotors and 2 distributor caps so
far.  The cap seems to fit over the rotor fine, even when it is pointing
directly towards a contact.  Anyone have this happen or have an idea what's
causing it?
Thanks,
Bob