* Wayne B stars in "TR3 Groundhog Day" *

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: * Wayne B stars in "TR3 Groundhog Day" *
From: "Wayne" <wayne@brazinski.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 22:17:02 -0500
All I can say is that I'm getting REALLY good at talking to Tow truck
drivers.  How this car got me home from West Virginia to Illinois is a
complete mystery, but looking back on the trip, I am SO grateful it was
better behaved than it is now.

I need to say direct thanks to Terry Smith, Rudy, Mike Marr, Steve Newell,
and Randall for sending replies to my emails.  It is SO reassuring knowing
you are all out there.

I have had 4 breakdowns in the last 1,200 miles.  The first one, in West
Virginia, was the white wire falling off the coil connection.  The first 2
Illinois breakdowns were the rotor, or at least seemed to be cured by rotor
replacement.  This one was not.  The symptoms seem to be that the car will
start and run OK for a while but if you get close to 2,500 RPM it drops one
or more cylinders.  I had it drop all at one point before I got the tow.  On
a few ocassions she came back, but then died again. The plugs were black and
sooty.

Here's what I did, followed by what I will do:

Done
1) Changed out coil with new known good spare - no difference
2) Changed dizzy cap and wires with known good spare - no difference
3) Changed spark plugs with new, untested - no difference
4) Checked all wiring for tightness - no difference

Will do (in addition to the points raised by the above mentioned folks):
1) Remove electronic points (Pertronix), replace with points and condensor.
Keep Lucas coil.
2) Check timing
3) Adjust valves, which were recently replaced in total head job
4) Adjust carbs.

I'll do everything sequentially one at a time and report the results back
for the shared knowledge base.  Anyone want to start a pool?  Who bets I can
get through the next 100 miles without the thing blowing up on me?  Anyone
;-)

Wayne