generator question, TR3

To: "INTERNET:Gbouff1@aol.com" <Gbouff1@aol.com>
Subject: generator question, TR3
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:00:22 -0400
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net i3JD4OUO022794
Message text written by INTERNET:Gbouff1@aol.com
>My discharge light is on and the ammeter shows a discharge condition which

increase significantly when the headlights are activated.  I want to make
sure
that it is my generator and not voltage regulator.  I'm not sure how to
check
the generator but I took a reading while the car was running of a little
more
than 3 volts off both the large and small terminals on the generator with
the
volt meter's other wire going to ground.  What should the voltage be?  I
was
expecting 13+ volts.  Does this mean my generator is trash?
<

More likely the regulator.  There is a aset of contacts that connect the D
and F terminals that will cause the generator to build up.  That means the
3 volts output will be fed back to the field.  A quicka  dirty test is to
connect a jumper between these two points and run the engine at idle and
then read the voltage.  If this brings the voltage up then look to your
regulator.  A little work with a contact file will bring temporary relief.
Then call me in the morning.

Dave