Re: Sealing Oil Leaks

To: Ryoung@navcomtech.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sealing Oil Leaks
From: MotoPsyche@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 15:19:23 EDT
In a message dated 04/16/2004 12:16:28 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
Ryoung@navcomtech.com writes:
> If the answer is yes, will the reinstallation of the main cap be
> straightforward, or are there tolerances to be measured and maintained?

You should be able to just reinstall the cap and torque it to spec.  Either
don't remove the bearing shell or be certain it's back in place

Should it be possible to remove the end cap at the rear of the engine without
tinkering with the gearbox?  I'm having trouble removing it as the bolt heads
on outside of the rear seal (facing the gearbox) are hanging up on the face
of the gearbox.  The endcap is angled in toward the center of the block, but
the bolts won't clear.  Should I be able to slip the end cap out, or must I
separate the gearbox from the engine block?   What holds the end cap at its
uppermost?  The rear seal?

TIA,

Bill Stagg
1960 TR3A