Head Gasket

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Head Gasket
From: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 19:24:00 -0400
Hello, Everyone.

While I was assembling my engine rebuild yesterday, I was following one manual
and referring to a second as well.  One manual said to install the head
gasket, so I looked the copper gasket over and decided it made sense for the
"crimped" side to go down against the liners as sort of an aid seal.  So I put
on my thin film of aircraft form-a-gasket on the metal surface of the block
and head and installed the gasket and head finger tight.  But when I conferred
with my second manual, LO it said to put the gasket smooth side down.

I fixed it and no problem.

But it lingers.  What the heck difference could it have made?  Aren't the
physics of mating to either the top surface or the bottom surface the same?

Terry Smith
'59 TR3A  Progress underway.