RE: Clutch Fluid (DOT 5)

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Clutch Fluid (DOT 5)
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 18:24:41 -0700
> Because paint is not cheap, I've decided to use DOT5 fluid from now on.
> What is the best way to flush out the old fluid?  If I need to rebuild
> everything to get the fluid out,

That's the ideal way, IMO, disassemble all the masters and slaves, clean and
install new seals, flush the lines out with methanol.

However, just emptying the reservoir as much as possible (get a cheap turkey
baster from the store), filling it with new DOT 5 and then bleeding each
bleed valve until you get only clean DOT 5 out of it is perfectly adequate.
You won't reap quite all the benefits of DOT 5 (increased life, no moisture
absorption), but the system will work just fine and you won't lose any more
paint.

Randall