RE: Help, please, it won't fire a lick!

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Help, please, it won't fire a lick!
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 14:07:05 -0500
On 29 Mar 2004 at 8:01, Scott Tilton wrote:

> While reading Rob's story about his car not firing, it reminds me of a
> problem I had.

Also on the subject of "strange" non-firing:  My Datsun 510 once died
electrically.  The coil showed plenty of +12v but no spark.  The
wiring going into the dizzy showed plenty of +12v but the points
wouldn't spark when I opened them by hand.  A voltmeter showed no
+12v at the points or anywhere inside the dizzy!  It turns out the
screw that went through the dizzy casing was just not making contact
with the metal tabs it was clamped to.  Don't know which end was the
culprit, inside the dizzy or outside, but the fix was simply to clean
everything up.  The moral:  Just because metal piece A is "touching"
metal piece B doesn't mean it is in electrical contact.

On another occasion it was reluctant to start in damp weather.
Nothing showed itself amiss except the absence of spark at the usual
places.  However when I watched the electricals while someone tried
to start it at night I was treated to a spiffy R2D2 imitation, blue
sparks everywhere.  New wires & dizzy parts fixed it.  As usual it
was usual suspects.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com