RE: * She Croaked again *

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: * She Croaked again *
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 09:28:56 -0800
> Are these 2 different starters different than the 2 different starters for
> the TR2-TR3A range? Or are we talking about the same 2 different starters?

It's the same "2 different starters", the TR4/A used the same starter as the
post-50000 TR3A.

Well, there were some minor variations in both the pre-50K and post-50K
starters, I don't mean to say all post-50K starters were absolutely
identical, but they do all interchange (as do all pre-50K starters).

> When that stops
> working, the first thing I check is to see if it's jammed into
> the flywheel.

I've always wondered about that ... it's never happened to me and I ran a
great many miles with a pre-50K starter.  I only recently switched to a
gear-drive.

The only failures I had with the early starters were the rubber drive
coupling failing (even had one of the "hi tech" fail-safe replacements from
BFE fail), wires getting tangled (due to improper assembly by yours truly),
and worn-out bushings.

Randall