Re: Supercharger for TR3-6 ??? (Part 3)

To: triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Supercharger for TR3-6 ??? (Part 3)
From: Joe <supertr6@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 12:21:03 -0500
Don/ et al,

Last week I got the TR back from a local shop that specializes in BMWs.
The good thing is they have a mechanic on site that is a crew chief for
a Turner Motorsport car.  (For those of you who don't know Bimmers, that
is a big deal).  We did a bit of modifying to the system.  First, the
intake manifold was WAAAAAY off plane.  Since it is originally designed
for 2 carbs and not a single intake plenum/manifold that was no big
deal.  Well, for this application, it was a big deal.  Had a leak I
never knew about in the firewall side connection.  I had the intake
manifold made "straight"and true.  I had special gaskets made for the
intake to blow manifold connection.  The nuts on the forward intake
connection were wired to stay on.  The fireside connection had support
tubes put inside the aluminum blower manifold to keep it from deforming
when it was tightened AND when making boost.  (Gotta love a race
mechanic). Did I really NEED to do all that.  Probably not, but, hey, I
haven't spent that much on her in the last 3 years.  I also wrapped my
headers with header wrap and put thermal wrap on the heatshield and
re-wrapped the bypass line.