Hydraulic Fitting Nomenclature

To: "Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hydraulic Fitting Nomenclature
From: "Jeffrey J. Barteet" <barteet@barteet.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 10:32:11 -0800 (PST)
Hi, Folks,

I'm hoping somebody can set me straight on the different types of flared
fittings employed in hyraulic lines.

What type of fittings are used stock on our Triumphs?

Can you make your own lines with a flaring tool like you see at the
hardware store?

And I see all these spiffy anodized aluminum 'AN' fittings and wonder how
one might go about employing them on our cars. It seems that once upon a
time, these were only found on aircraft, but now I see them EVERYWHERE on
everything. And it also seems they're finally becoming a bit more
affordable as well.

I understand there are 37 degree flares and 40 degree flares. Which goes
to what?

Thanks in advance,

-jeffrey