Srink wrap?

To: "T. S. White" <tswrace@pacbell.net>
Subject: Srink wrap?
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 08:23:46 -0400
Cc: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h7SCQqxx004181
Message text written by "T. S. White"
>I spent today working on my wiring.  Soldering and shrink wrapping the
new wire terminals has been easy.  I have run into a problem though when
shrink wrapping longer sections of the loom.  I am using 1/2 & 3/8 inch
shrink wrap on multiple wire stretches of the loom in my wheel well.  I
am having a difficult time getting the wrap to shrink tite even though
it is barely larger than the wires themselves.  On the wire ends I used
a cigarette lighter.  I bought a 1875 watt hair dryer today to do the
longer sections and it seems to have no affect on the shrink wrap.  Thus
far I am still using the cigarette lighter.

I do not want to use an open flame in the engine compartment next to my
fresh paint job.  Can anyone suggest an efficient method of shrinking
the wrap tight?
<

No, get a heat gun at your local hardware store (paint department).  Hair
dryers are designed to limit the temperature to prevent burn and fire
hazard and concequently do not get the air hot enough to shrink the tubing.
 The heat gun is designed to soften paint for removal and will be much
better suited to shrinking heat shrink tubing.

Or you might consider wire harness tape (available from British Wire).
This is like electrical tape without the adheasive.  It will lightly adhear
to itself but unwraps easily.  You will want to secure the ends with a
short piece of real electrical tape.  This tape is easier to install and
gives you a more flexible harness in the end.  It will also be easier to
repair and modify.  You didn't mention what model car you are working on
but this is the type of harness construction used on the TR6 thru TR7/8.

Dave